Certify > Develop > Connect > Advocate
An MBE is a Minority Business Enterprise. MBEs are companies owned by United States citizens who are Asian, Black, Hispanic or Native American. Ownership by minority individuals means the business is at least 51% owned by such individuals or, in the case of a publicly-owned business, at least 51% of the stock is owned by one or more such individuals-i.e., the management and daily operations are controlled by those minority group members.
Pre-certification webinars are held on Wednesdays at 10:00 am EST. The webinars are designed to provide potential MBEs with critical information needed for the MBE Certification. Topics of discussion include benefits of certification, application process, required documents, fees, re-certification and the programs and services of the Florida State MSDC. We are here to answer your questions.
Please register for the date and time that works best for you. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
- $300 - Gross sales are up to $1 million
- $475 - Gross sales are above $1 million but less than $5 million
- $625 - Gross sales are above $5 million but less than $10 million
- $800 - Gross sales are above $10 million
The application fee is non-refundable.
Benefits of becoming a Certified Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) include:
- Validation of MBE status
- Opportunities for Sales and Marketing
- Access to Mentor-Protégé Program
- Access to educational programs
- Business Advisory Services
- Financial assistance and support
- National/International market access
A Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) is an independent, for-profit enterprise, regardless of size, located in the United States or in one of its trust territories, which is owned and controlled by an ethnic minority. Minority ownership shall be deemed to be ownership of at least 51% of the company by citizens of the United States who are of one or more of the following ethnicities:
- African- American/ Black – U.S. citizen having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Sub-Sahara Africa. Caribbean natives of African descent are also eligible. The Caribbean is a region consisting of the Caribbean Sea, its islands (most of which are enclosed by the sea), and the surrounding coasts.
- Hispanic/ Latino-American – A U.S. citizen of true-born Latin heritage (true-born meaning “authentically” or “genuinely” as per Webster’s Dictionary), from any of the Spanish speaking areas of Latin America or the following regions: Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean basin only Afro-Brazilian, indigenous/Indian only)
- Native American/ Alaska Native – A person who is an American Indian. Eskimo, Aleut or Native Hawaiian, and is regarded as such by the community of which the person claims to be a part. Native Americans must be documented through a Native American Blood Degree Certificate.
- Asian-Pacific American – A person whose origins are from Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, Samoa, Guam or the U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific or the North Marianas.
- Asian/ Asian Indian/ Pacific Islander American – U.S. citizen whose origins are from the Asian / Pacific Islander region
- The minority owner(s) shall enjoy the customary incidents of ownership and shall share in the risks and profits of entrepreneurship.
- The minority owner(s) must also possess the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of the firm and shall possess the capability of making day-to-day as well as major decisions on matters of management, policy and the operations of the firm. All other criteria as stated in the NMSDC certification manual.
The Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) Subscription Services is an add-on that provides a multitude of value-added services for MBEs. The Subscription was created upon recognizing the need to help businesses make an even greater impact in the marketplace. MBEs are not required to purchase the Subscription Services.-
Please note that certification and recertification fees are not included in the Subscription Services fees.Apply for Subscriber Services